Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Urban Turban Skirt and Tutorial

Turbans are everywhere right now and I love them!  I've make a turban headband for Alaire but god knows we've already "lost it."  Sometimes I think she ditches hair accessories at the grocery store on purpose.  Anyway back to what I was talking about... Turbans. 
 I made Alaire this little Urban Turban Skirt. I am in love and now I want one for myself.  

"Haircut Horsey" as she is known around these parts couldn't be parted with : )




What you will need:
fabric- I used stretch knit
elastic for waist (I used 2")
sewing machine and other basic supplies
(Any measurements are for my 2 year old 2T wearing Lairi)


My two year old has a 19 inch waist and measures about 10 inches from hip to knee.

For the twisty turban pieces: 2 strips 4.5 x 60 (the width of the knit)  
For the skirt and lining: two rectangles 11x 18 (2 skirts and 2 linings)

**To make your own for a bigger or smaller kid trace a skirt or pair of shorts for the skirt pieces and add a little bit for seam allowances.  
I cut each strip into four pieces for a total of 8 pieces.  I put two strips together and sewed or serged the long sides and then turned them right side out.  You will end up with a total of four tubes.

To make the twists lay two pieces in an "x"

Take the top pieces and cross them 

To end up with

This!

And repeat with the other two pieces

I pinned/clipped one side in place leaving a half inch or more free at the top and the bottom.

I stitched it into place and then repeated the other side.    



The next step is to take both the skirt and the lining and sew the front to the back at the side seams.  Turn the skirt right side out and leave the lining wrong side out.

Slip the skirt inside the lining and match up the side seams.  Clip or pin the bottom raw edges together.  Make sure not to get the twisted pieces in the way of the seam allowance.


Stich or serge the edges together, all the way around.  It doesn't matter which method because these edges will be on the inside and never seen.  By the way, I used a serger on most of this project but you absolutely DO NOT need one for it.

Turn it right side out and put the lining inside.

Take the elastic and stitch the ends right sides together and then press down the seam allowances down and stitch them flat (as shown above).

Mark off four even sections of the elastic waist  and the skirt.  Clip or pin the elastic to the skirt, right sides together.  Stretch as you stitch from marking to marking.  Do this step slowly, as you may have to stretch it with both hands.

That's it.  This is a really quick sew.  You can wear it with the waistband exposed or turned inside.

I hope you like it.









I'm linking up to






Lil\'Luna

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! It looks so comfy- I totally would wear one too! I'd love you to link up to WKWW-What Kids Wore Wednesday at ONE little MOMMA.

    http://onelittlemomm.blogspot.com/2012/08/wkww-what-kids-wore-wednesday_28.html?utm_source=bp_recent&utm-medium=gadget&utm_campaign=bp_recent

    Kilee
    www.onelittlemomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute skirt! Your little girl is super adorable too. I'm currently attempting to upcycle my boys' fall/winter wardrobe, I'd love it if you stopped by to take a look!!! ~ Suzanne

    http://winterwonderingswanderingswhatnot.blogspot.com/2012/08/project-0-updates-competitive-nature.html

    ReplyDelete