Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Stella's Room: Herringbone Accent Wall

I posted this on Instagram a few weeks ago and I've been asked a million times to see the final product.

Here it is...
I went back and forth on the paint choice for the nursery, but I ended up taking the plunge and painting it Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore.  I was afraid of it making the room super dark, but the room gets a lot of light, and I love it.  What is the worst that can happen?  
A great sleeping baby?!?!

(Please excuse the bad photos.  Some are iPhone and some are at night.)

Here is how the process went:

First, I painted the whole wall white.  It is necessary even though it seems ridiculous.

I divided the wall into equal parts and taped it off.  This is the most measuring you will have to do.

Then I made these paper strips.  They are 3, 4, 5 and 6 inches wide.  They are the template for the diagonal lines.  I used painters tape in loops on the back to stick them to the wall.


I simple placed a strip at an angle I liked and then taped it on each side.  I made sure the tape reached completely across to the vertical lines without crossing into the next panel.


Each panel should angle in the opposite direction.



Alaire helped by taking a dry paint roller and rolling over all of the tape to help seal it as best as possible.


Here it is all taped off!


****DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP****
Take it from me.  I did and I was being lazy because I didn't want to wait until morning to get more paint.  Repaint over all of the tape with the base color.  In this case I should have painted the white again.  Even though painters tape does a really great job, it still can leak.  It is especially obvious when there is such a big contrast.  SOOO... paint the base coat over all of the tape. 

Next paint two coats of the main color over the whole wall 



I always pull off the tape while the wall is still wet or tacky.  I've never had any problems in doing so.  Sometimes if I let it dry completely it can peel paint off the wall.


Ahh I love pulling the tape off.


Here is a preview of the nursery at night.  HA!  What a hot mess!


Here it is in the daylight.


I am absolutely in love with this wall.  I hope Stella will like it for at least a few years to come!  

Thanks for reading.  I can't wait to show you more of the nursery and all of the projects that I've done.  I don't think that it will be 100% complete before she comes, but I've got a pretty good start.

3 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size painters tape did you use? 2 inch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used one and a half inch tape for the stripes

      Delete