Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Clear Vegetable Soup- One of My Favorite Recipes

I posted a picture of my favorite soup on Instagram last night.  A few people asked for the recipe.  It's freaking awesome and perfect for anytime of year.  I made it a lot last summer from fresh garden vegetables.

You don't have to use all of the ingredients that I put in, but I love it loaded.  You can also add ANY vegetables that you have on hand.  It's a great way to use up things that are going to go bad in the fridge too.


Clear Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:

2 T Olive Oil
1/4 cup of Long Grain Rice
1-2 T Minced Garlic (I like the kind in the jar that you keep in the fridge)
1 chopped Onion

6 cups Chicken Broth
1 1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Dried Basil
1/2 Dried Rosemary
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 bunch of celery chopped
1-3 Red, Green, Yellow Peppers chopped(I buy the confetti frozen bags from Trader Joe's and use one)
2 Turnips

Bunch of chopped Kale
2 chopped tomatoes
2-4 yellow and green zucchini


Directions:
In a large pot add olive oil, rice and garlic.  Heat it up to medium and cook for a few minutes.  Add the chopped onion an cook until the onions are clear.
Add the chicken broth, spices, and the first group of vegetables.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes
Finally add the second group of vegetables and finish cooking for 10-15 more minutes.

If you are going to freeze right away, add the second group of vegetables and take off of the stove after 5 minutes.  (This will help the zucchini from getting too soft.)

I hope you like it! My family always LOVES IT!   Let me know if you try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment