Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tassel Garland and Tutorial





I love versatile decor that can float through the holidays.  I am one of those people who suck at taking things down.  I made this in October and it is up for November and I will probably leave it up for Christmas because I have white and teal decor for my tree.  


To make:
1/4 yard  of 4-5 different fabrics  (I used 4 colors of the cheapest quilting cotton and silver lame fabric)
8 feet of twine
string or sewing machine
scissors or a rotary cutter


I left the fabric folded in half as it came off of the bolt.  Cut through the fold.  That will give you two rectangles of each color.  Each Strip should be 9 inches wide, which is 1/4 yard.  It doesn't matter if they are a little bigger or smaller.



This is a 4 blade rotary cutter, which I got at Hancock Fabric.  It is for those fleece tie blankets, but works perfect for this.


Fold the fabric in half.  You can use a scissor too, no need to be perfect.  Just cut 1-1/2 inch strips all the way across the fabric.  Leave 2 inches uncut on the folded edge.


They should now look like this:


Roll them up


Pinch the top and twist it into a loop.


I sewed mine across, but you can also tie them off with string.  The loop just needs to be big enough to fit a piece of twine through.





Here is the rope I used.  It is what I had on hand.  Jute is a little less rough and it works well too.  Just string them all on a length of the rope and you are DONE!


If you are wondering how I got it to stay in my mantel.




I hope you are all having a good week.  Were getting ready for Thanksgiving and visiting our families. It should be a fun trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment